Nikkor 35/1.8 AF-S or 35/1.4 AF-S?

Started Mar 22, 2016 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
HeavyDuty Senior Member • Posts: 2,173
Nikkor 35/1.8 AF-S or 35/1.4 AF-S?

I use mostly manual focus Nikkors with my digital bodies, I do use a AF 80-200/2.8 and a couple of AF 50s but that's about it.  My sack of MF glass is extensive, runs 20mm through 300mm and dates back to when I made the switch to Nikon at my first paper in 1977 with updates and additions through the years.

Now that I'm actively shooting full frame digital I think it's time to replace my weakest MF lens - the 1972 era 35/2 that I bought used with my first beat up F+F36 body.  I'll never sell it, but it's not the strongest lens on digital.  I Ai'd it years ago when I bought my first F3 (1980? 1981?)

For years my "normal" was this 35; I lean a little more to a 50 these days but still use the 35 a substantial amount of the time  I also do a lot of available light shooting.

I currently shoot a D700 for FX and a D300 for DX, and I suspect a Df is in my future for available light shooting exclusively with primes.

I'm trying to decide if I should go with the 1.4 or the 1.8.   I think I would be better served with the 1.4, that it likely outperforms the 1.8 in the f/2 to f/4 range plus can be shot wide open for extra character.

Can anyone how has first-hand experience with both chime in with their thoughts about the relative strengths and weaknesses of these two lenses?

Thanks!

-- hide signature --

Ken in Illinois
Railroad Action: http://www.pbase.com/kjford
Candids: http://www.pbase.com/kjford/other

HeavyDuty's gear list:HeavyDuty's gear list
Leica APO-Summicron-M 75mm f/2 ASPH Fujifilm X100S Canon XC10 Sigma dp0 Quattro Sony RX10 III +76 more
Nikon 35mm F1.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.4G Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon Df
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow