SamuelHTC New Member • Posts: 3
Wide Angle FX Prime

Let me start with what I already have in my bags:

• Nikon D800
  • Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8G ED
  • Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8G ED
  • Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II
  • Nikon 50mm f/1.4G

I shoot mostly at concerts/festivals/clubs; and these venues are mostly in low light situations. The Nikon Trinity are working pretty great and yield sharp images. The focusing are fast and accurate most of the time.

The 50mm has low f-stop, but I rarely use it, because the focusing is just terrible in low light situation (it either keeps hunting or results in inaccurate locks)...

I am looking for a wide angle FX prime (24mm or wider) lens that has fast focusing (i.e. like the Trinity), but is a stop or two f-stop faster than the Trinity (i.e. f/1.4 or f/1.8).

1. It seems Nikon has three primes that meet what I am looking for - 20mm f/1.8G, 24mm f/1.4G, and 24mm f/1.8G.

• Are these three lenses as good as the Trinity in terms of focusing? (I want to avoid the same focusing issue the 50mm has...)
  • How would you rank the three lenses in their focusing and performance?
  • I know the 24mm f/1.4G costs more than twice than the other twos. I don't quite have the funds for it yet; but if it is THE lens, then I will just have to wait and save up...

2. Someone suggested me to look into Sigma 20mm f/1.4DG Art lens.

• Is this a good lens? Fast focusing? Sharp images? This lens get down to f/1.4, with the cost being only slightly higher than the Nikon 20mm f/1.8.
  • How are Sigma Art lenses compared to the Nikon's in performance and built? As you can see, all my lenses are Nikon...
  • Any issues with Sigma that I need to be aware?

I would take any suggestions/input. Thank you!!

SamuelHTC's gear list:SamuelHTC's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G +2 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow