camera and lenses for Galapagos trip

Started Mar 18, 2016 | Discussions thread
Astrophotographer 10 Forum Pro • Posts: 10,250
Re: camera and lenses for Galapagos trip

I agree with the advice. I just came back from a cruise to south pacific islands. I took my A7r2 with Batis 25 and 55 1.8 lenses and a Sony RX100 iii. The RX100 was handy for taking ashore and leaving in a bad whilst I went snorkelling.

I used mainly the Batis 25 and the 55 only a few times. I take panoramas and stitch them if the scene is good enough and the B25 is perfect for that in portrait mode. 2 up and 3 across. I take a photo of my hand at the start and end of a panorama sequence so I can identify them later when I've downloaded them otherwise you can get lost.

I got the RX100iii because answers to my post about these models had a lot saying the ii iii and iv have virtually identical IQ and I like the popup flash on the iii that the iv lacks. 4K video is on my A7r2 and 1080 video is fine for me.

I also used an RX100 i in a Meikon underwater case for coral and coral fish photos. It worked really well.

I got a Lim's aluminium grip for my RX100 iii and it made one handed operation very easy.

Astrophotographer 10's gear list:Astrophotographer 10's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R II Sony Alpha a7R III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow