Sigma DP1 Quattro Review: Slightly disappointing lens on otherwise promising camera

Started Mar 15, 2016 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
dsteiner Regular Member • Posts: 405
Sigma DP1 Quattro Review: Slightly disappointing lens on otherwise promising camera

This review reflects my usage of the DP1 Quattro. I really wanted to like this camera. I've been using the DP2Q and DP3Q as well and really enjoyed them, however, the DP1Q seemed to be different.

1) Noise: For some reason, the pics of the DP1Q seem to be noisier. Most of the pictures that were originally published shortly after the camera was released looked shockingly noisy - not something I was used to from the DP2Q. Ok, so I thought, it is difficult to make up your opinion if some users possibly push the sliders in SPP to unreasonable levels etc. So I bought the DP1Q to make a up a fair opinion. I installed the latest firmware straight away and things seemed to be better then anticipated, but certainly not the same as the DP2Q delivered. To be honest, although not ideal, I could live with this noise level. And as a side remark: Please do not start a discussion on Quattro vs Merrill sensor again.

2) The Lens: I used the DP1M and previous versions before and I never really saw a massive problem with the sharpness at the borders, however, with the DP1Q, I realized that the borders are quite bad (unsharp, paired with quite some CA). The image also seems to get noisier closer to the borders (maybe also an effect of the weak lens). Although Sigma claim that they improved the lens, I do not think it is good enough for the sensor. I'd rather preferred they made a slightly bigger lens that can deliver on the borders as well (or whatever is necessary to fix this problem.). It is a real shame, because this is the main problem that lets the camera down!

Example Image showing the problem (see at 100% at https://www.flickr.com/photos/diddy/20495450804/sizes/o/ :

As with the other DP Quattro cameras, I like the new design of the camera. It’s bigger, yes, but it is more comfortable to hold. I especially like the two big dials on top to control the aperture and shutter speed. I like the level indicator on the display … very nice new feature. The LCD is way better etc etc etc. In a nutshell: I am disappointed about the weak lens on what could have been otherwise an excellent camera.

Sigma dp1 Quattro
20 megapixels • 3 screen • 28 mm
Announced: Feb 10, 2014
dsteiner's score
Average community score
Sigma dp1 Quattro
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow