Digital spotmatic poll

Started Mar 5, 2016 | Polls thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
miles green
miles green Veteran Member • Posts: 7,657
Digital spotmatic poll

I'll be getting a K1, but it's a big and high-tech camera. I've always wanted a second camera, something light and compact, to use with my manual focus lenses, for when i want to travel more discretely, when time permits and the mood is right. I'm thinking of a manual focus camera with a big viewfinder and split prism from an MX. Why? Because it's enjoyable to focus those M and A lenses manually, and to peer through that huge viewfinder. It would be FF and K-mount of course. So i thought of the specs of such a camera and came up with this.

First, here are all the things that don't make it in the camera:

- AF goes. There is no AF, no AF module, no second mirror, no AF confirmation and fiewer electronics

- No AF buttons on the back or the side.

- No wifi, no gps and no pop-up flash

- No ports for headphones, mic, dc, hdmi, usb etc.

- No video, obviously

- single SD port and conservative fps and buffer

- 450-gram savings on the body (over the K1) and much-reduced price tag as it's low-tech.

Here is what stays, and what is new

- Nice big pentaprism from the old MX with interchangeable split-prism viewfinder

- A way to view the aperture of M lenses from the viewfinder. I was thinking of the old optical window. (I'm not adding a "de-crippled" K-mount as that would be costly and it's inaccurate anyway.)

- metering for M lenses could be on the shutter half-pressas there's no AF

- 24mpx FF sensor, they are becoming cheap.

- IBIS, that is nice. Including AA filter simulation and pixel-shift, since we have IBIS.

- LV with focus peaking for detailed focusing

- Styled after the Spotmatic (maybe the most handsome Pentax imho), all-metal, with minimal grip if any, and brass top and bottom plates

- the PASM dial, dual dials, ISO and exposure comp buttons etc all stay

- add a tripod socket on the side like the 645 series

I think such a camera could weigh around 550 to 600 grams and be about the same size as a Sony A7 series. The launch price should be attractive, about half that of the K1. It could probably become a classic / collectors / cult item.

Would you be interested in one?

miles green's gear list:miles green's gear list
Pentax K-1 Pentax K-1 II Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited +7 more
POLL
Sounds excellent, i'd like one, thank you.
24.7% 19  votes
Interesting concept, but it's not a camera for me
16.9% 13  votes
Get over it Miles, and go buy some film (or an A7). Pentax certainly is not going to sell any new lenses like this, so it's not going to happen.
58.4% 45  votes
  Show results
Pentax K-1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
mxx
mxx
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow