Educate me on Pentax

Started Mar 3, 2016 | Discussions thread
Barry Pearson
Barry Pearson Veteran Member • Posts: 9,624
Re: Educate me on Pentax

awaldram wrote:

Pentax AF algorithms have been pretty archaic which has meant the raw power of their AF system has to be tamed by the knowledge of the photographer (sensor in use, hold AF , hand off etc etc ) Which has lead to some conclusions on Pentac AF capabilities that are lower than reality.

The statement "has to be tamed by the knowledge of the photographer" is important.

I use centre-spot focusing for nearly all my action photos. I thought I was in a tiny old-fashioned minority. I found a number of other people agreeing with that approach.

Using centre-spot focusing, I have achieved some pretty good (occasionally award-winning) photos of birds and airplanes in flight, and motor cars and bikes going pretty fast.

I accept that I have also missed quite a few shots, and I would not be able to compete with professional high-speed-action photographers, who simply get "that" shot.

But in spite of any assumption that the K-1 isn't really an action camera, I will be trying to use it for those subjects this year, to see just what it can do, especially when teamed with fast-focusing lenses like the 150-450mm f/3.5-f/5.6, and (I hope!) the 70-200mm f/2.8. I can surely do better than I did with a K-5IIs and the DA* lenses!

Barry Pearson's gear list:Barry Pearson's gear list
Ricoh GR III Canon EOS R Canon EOS R5 Samyang T-S 24mm F3.5 Venus Laowa 15mm F4 Macro +29 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow