Educate me on Pentax

Started Mar 3, 2016 | Discussions thread
Tatouzou
Tatouzou Senior Member • Posts: 2,050
Re: Educate me on Pentax

1/GPS: GPS is useful for professional outdoors shooters, and astrotracer works on a GPS based technology.

2/F lenses: F branded Pentax lenses are legacy full frame from the film era, that you can buy only second hand. They will autofocus exactly like the most recent lenses. But they wont be weather resistant, nor will be your K3 or K1 with one of these lens mounted (no silicon or rubber gaskets on lens).

All Pentax lenses have a mecanical focus ring and can focus manually. Most of the DA and D-FA lenses feature a quick-shift feature: in AF mode, you can pre-focus or correct the focus manually after the lens has focused by itself, without the need to move a switch on the body. Legacy FA and F lenses dont have this feature.

For professional everyday use, I would rather look at the modern zoom lenses Pentax has just released or will release within a few weeks to fit the K1.

3/FF or APS-C?:  IMO, as noticed another poster, for outdoors shooting and hiking, you would have a lighter and smaller set by choosing the Pentax APS-C  flagship, K3, mark I if you want a built in flash, or mk II if you want built in GPS and astrotracer and pixel-shift.

K3 are 24 MP sony sensor, built and rugged like the K1, very close ergonomy and feature set (but not tillting lcd). They can be wifi controlled via a dedicated (optional) sd "flu-card" in one of the two SD slots.

The K3 has won many awards as best advanced DSLR. Its IQ is excellent up to ISO 3200 and 24MP is already huge.

On the other hand, FF is a must if you shoot a lot of lowlight high ISO, and/or you need the extra MP. Though the K1 has 36 MP, it has a lower pixel density, and thus IQ should be1 stop better than K3,(K1 at ISO 6400 should perform the same or better as K3 at ISO 3200).

-- hide signature --
 Tatouzou's gear list:Tatouzou's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Pentax K-3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Pentax smc DA 17-70mm F4.0 AL (IF) SDM +24 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow