Educate me on Pentax

Started Mar 3, 2016 | Discussions thread
Sactojim Veteran Member • Posts: 8,403
Re: Educate me on Pentax

MaKeR wrote:

Parks71a wrote:

Wow, some great info here, thank you to all that replied. I'm very impressed with the water sealing! I do a lot of long backpacking trips and hiking so I wanted something sealed decent. I didn't expect it to be that good!

fast auto focus doesn't matter to me. I don't shoot birds or moving kids. I shoot mostly landscapes or posed photos in the elements. I didn't realize they were using Sony sensors either.

I think I might buy into this system. So much bang for the buck! The K1 looks like a hell of a lot of camera for much less than the D810 and it's got real weather sealing!

Speaking as a backpacker and hiker myself:

Since weight is such a concern on long backpacking trips, I wonder why you wouldn't prefer a crop-sensor camera, and its lighter lenses instead of the K-1. For backpacking photos, the image quality from the lighter-weight Pentax K-5 II and K-3 (II) cameras leaves nothing to be desired, IMO, and they are also fully weather-sealed and full-featured. Have look at how tiny and lightweight the Limited DA prime lenses are: 15 mm, 21 mm, 40 mm, and 70 mm are great options for this use case. The DA 35 Limited macro and the 100 WR macro are also good options. (And only one 49 mm polarising filter would be needed to cover all of these lenses.) The DA 20-40 Limited is another option if you would like to use a zoom lens; or the DA 16-85.

I hope that this helps to educate you about Pentax!

I'm also a long time backpacker, hiker, and also a kayaker and Pentax and I go back to the early 70's with my ME Super. I went from a Nikon D90 and 4 lenses to the K-50 and happy as could be. The weather proofing has saved my bacon a few times and one time in particular when my K-50 was on the floor of a white water raft in 4-6 inches of water for a few minutes (thought it went overboard on a big drop) and continues to work like a charm. I shoot mostly landscapes and just recently added a DA 50mm F1.8 prime..affordable and a great performer. With features like weather resistance, 100% view OVF, 2 control wheels, focus peaking, crazy high ISO (and usable too), and excellent ergonomics, it's just a fun camera to use. Regarding weight: most of my backpacking is in our northern Sierra's and consists of 2-4 nights out at elevations up to 10,000 and I find the weight difference between a M4/3 and the K-50 minimal. NOw if I add my Sigma 18-250 too, then yes, that's all I would want to carry. Choices everywhere.

Good luck with your new camera whatever you choose. Is it possible to rent a Pentax for a few days?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow