Educate me on Pentax

Started Mar 3, 2016 | Discussions thread
pixelsmithy Contributing Member • Posts: 540
Re: Educate me on Pentax

Parks71a wrote:

One thing I don't get is, what's the point of GPS in a camera? It's not like I won't know where my photo was taken....

GPS is useful for tagging your images locations of origin. Flickr, for example, can show where on the planet a particular photo was taken with the info.

I believe it is also used by that AstroTrack feature. It needs to know your location on the planet (mainly exact latitude) which it determines by GPS satellites. Then it also takes info from the inclinometers in the camera to know where in the sky you are pointing so as to calculate how to move the sensor. (It needs to move the sensor much faster if you are pointed at something closer to the celestial equator (say, Saggitarius) as opposed to something closer to the celestial pole (for example, the Double Cluster in Perseus).

-- hide signature --

Check out my (UPDATED 09-26-2015) Gallery! http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/355548730/photos/slideshow

pixelsmithy's gear list:pixelsmithy's gear list
Pentax K-01 Pentax K-3 II Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow