Educate me on Pentax

Started Mar 3, 2016 | Discussions thread
paulkienitz
paulkienitz Veteran Member • Posts: 5,427
Re: Educate me on Pentax

Parks71a wrote:

I am researching a new system and I accidentally came across Pentax. I know a lot about Sony, Nikon, and canon. The specs of the k3 and features appear to be much better than the other systems. Here's some questions.

what mount is for the k3? So I can research lenses.

what mount for the K1?

how well does the astrotracer work?

Questions from here on, I can answer with some experience:

how good is the weather seal? Can I shoot in the rain or snow?

I've shot my K-3 in the middle of the ocean with salt spray hitting me in the face, and it wasn't affected one bit.  That was with a DA* prime lens -- with a WR zoom, you might have to be more careful.

cost of lenses vs Nikon and canon?

It varies from year to year -- sometimes about the same, other times significantly better.

3rd party support for either mount?

Definitely less support than the bigger brands, but there are definitely some interesting third party options available.

why are these cameras so inexpensive compared to competitors?

Because if they were priced just as high, everybody would play it safe and just buy the big brand.

any downsides to the two systems u notice from use?

Autofocus is still a bit behind that of companies that make $5000 sports cameras.

paulkienitz's gear list:paulkienitz's gear list
Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow