Going to Southern Africa for Safari

Started Feb 25, 2016 | Questions thread
ekoppen New Member • Posts: 14
Re: Going to Southern Africa for Safari

absoluutbeginner wrote:

ekramer51 wrote:

Haven't posted for awhile but couldn't resist. My wife and I go to South Africa, Kruger national Park for six weeks every end of October through fist week of December. End of winter with the green of spring coming on.....usually. Severe drought in Africa from Kenya south this year.

We self drive and self guide throughout the 2800 mile road network in the 12,000 square miles of Kruger.

My wife shoots only stills and I shoot ninety percent video. I have simplified my kit and it's wonderful. Shooting African wildlife is not a good time menu diving, especially with the leopard posing for you.

My wife has two Panny GH3's, one with a 14-140 and the other with a 100-300. I have a Gh3 and a GH4 with the same lens setup. (no dust)

All four cameras seven function keys are setup identically for quick setup changes especially extended telephoto. The 100-300 gets by far the most work

Some of my video can be viewed on Youtube....search "Ed Koppen" and some stills in the gallery here.

Hamba Gahle..."Go in peace"

Hi Ed ....

If you where just in Kruger NP and did get all these shots ..you where extremely lucky.. clearly we see here the result of six weeks .

A lot of people just visit for 10 days ... and then if you get really lucky you will be able to get one of these shots.

I think you probably went also into the private reserves ..... where the possibilities to spot wild life by a guide will be much higher .

Thanks for sharing the video ...

Yeah, you're probably right. We were in Kruger Oct 28-dec 2, 2015. No private reserves at all.

We only spotted 134 lions (down 30 from the year before) 12 different leopards, 12 Cheetah, many hundreds of ellie's and other game.

I suppose your right. A guide would probably helped us find something

You might want to check ouk my Kruger Park forum page.

https://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=91111&p=2325235#p2325235

Good hunting :<)

ekoppen's gear list:ekoppen's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60) Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow