OMD EM10 sweet camera.

Started Feb 29, 2016 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
shinndigg Veteran Member • Posts: 4,222
OMD EM10 sweet camera.

I bought this as a refurbished product 4 months ago. This is definitely the best camera I've used yet.

First a little history: I've owned at various times, an Olympus E300, Nikon D50, Panasonic G10, and presently own an Olympus E510, E-PL1, a Panasonic Lumis FZ35 and this OMD EM10

Completely competent, great image files, very malleable. Focus has been snappy, right on target. Metering has been excellent, I generally use center-weighted. With the older cameras, blown highlights were an issue, so I usually under-exposed by 1/3 stop. With the EM10, that hasn' t been necessary. The metering and exposure has been right on the money.

I generally use the 14-42 II R lens, though find myself using my OM 50 1.8 lens a lot, as the great viewfinder makes it so easy to find focus in MF mode. The ability to magnify helps when the light is low, or tight focus is necessary.

I llike the ability to shoot with ART filters, especially the Dramatic Tone filters. Presently, I have the camera set up to shoot JPEGs in monochrome, and shoot RAW along with it.

The fact that it is so compact is a real plus, which is the prime reason I moved from DSLRs to m43rds. I simply got tired of lugging around heavier gear.

One interesting thing to me is that I have no fear in shooting up to and including ISO 6400. Noise has been absolutely no concern. But then again, I'm not a pixel peeper. I have also used this camera to shoot the moon, using an OM 70-150 3.5 lens, set to infinity. The thing that surprised me the most was, thanks to IBIS, I can do this handheld, no tripod necessary. And that's with the lens stopped down to f8 or even f11. Because the OM 70-150 lens isn't the sharpest, the net result isn't the absolute sharpest. But in print, it looks  very nice.

Like I mentioned above, the files are very malleable. That was an issue with the E300 and E510, though I must say Olympus knows how to get the max out of the JPEG engines of their cameras.

I look forward to trying the Live Composite feature in the future. Also, we are planning a trip out west in the spring, so I'll really be able to put it through the paces.

I considered the GX7, the GM5 and the EM5. They all seemed like great alternatives, but the refurb price for the EM10 couldn't be beat.

All in all, this is one great camera.

Pics to follow.

-- hide signature --

shinndigg
www.pbase.com/shinndigg

shinndigg's gear list:shinndigg's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35 Olympus E-510 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 +7 more
Olympus OM-D E-M10
16 megapixels • 3 screen • Four Thirds sensor
Announced: Jan 29, 2014
shinndigg's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
great
Action / sports
unrated
Landscapes / scenery
excellent
Portraits
excellent
Low light (without flash)
great
Flash photography (social)
unrated
Studio / still life
excellent
= community average
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35 (Lumix DMC-FZ38)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow