Having a hard time to select a lens for a dance performance shooting

Started Feb 23, 2016 | Discussions thread
Michael Benveniste
Michael Benveniste Veteran Member • Posts: 5,555
Re: Having a hard time to select a lens for a dance performance shooting

I'm coming into this thread late, and then only because of a coincidence.  I have little to add; a 70-200mm f/2.8 and a monopod is my choice for similar shooting situations.

Last night I was invited to dine in a group of 9 with the most famous photojournalist I've ever met.  His signature photo was taken with a Leica M2, a 35mm f/2, and on Tri-X. While I was busy trying not to obviously go all fanboy, he showed me a stunning shot he had taken recently during a ballet performance using a 70-300mm VR.  It wasn't for assignment, but he had used his AP credentials to get permission.

Having the "right" equipment is good.  "Being there" and having a great eye is better.  If you can't afford a 70-200mm VR, or it's too big to use in the venue, keep shooting anyway.  You won't get as many "keepers," nor will they as good technically as one might like, but get the shots anyway.

-- hide signature --

Such commentary has become ubiquitous on the Internet and is widely perceived to carry no indicium of reliability and little weight. (Digital Media News v. Escape Media Group, May 2014).

Michael Benveniste's gear list:Michael Benveniste's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 995 Nikon D800 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon D7200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 +43 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow