Super lens, but with drawbacks

Started Feb 23, 2016 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Folkmann Photo New Member • Posts: 1
Super lens, but with drawbacks

Purchased this lens for my full-frame 5DmkII for landscapes, cityscapes and dramatic urban and nature shots, and since I already was aware of its drawbacks, I wasn’t disappointed.
The lens is quite sharp in the center at f/2.8 – but only at the center. Towards the corners it gets softer, but not soft enough to blur out stars or anything. I shot many great night sky photos at 2.8 with decent sharpness – especially after post-processing in Lightroom or what you have. However, when shooting at f/2.8-4.0 in bright daylight, the softness towards the corners bothers you quite a bit. When possible, I shoot at f/8-16, where you will find excellent sharpness across the frame!
Another drawback is the heavy amount of lens flare produced by the spherical outer lens element, which tends to catch moon, sun, or street lights event if the light source is at 90˚.
Despite the drawbacks, this is a magnificent lens – the widest you can find for full-frame sensors and pretty fast too with its f/2.8.
All in all, a great lens if you can work around the drawbacks!

Canon EF 14mm f/2.8L USM
Wideangle prime lens • Canon EF • 2508A002
Folkmann Photo's score
Average community score
Canon EF 14mm f/2.8L USM Canon EOS 5D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow