Having a hard time to select a lens for a dance performance shooting

Started Feb 23, 2016 | Discussions thread
chipmaster
chipmaster Veteran Member • Posts: 3,225
Re: Having a hard time to select a lens for a dance performance shooting

70-200 2.8 is the lens. My bread and butter for dance/ballet! I'm sure the 70-200 F4 could work but for single dancer as subject I almost always shoot 2.8 for isolation as well as lowest ISO for a given SS. I do sacrifice that a bit stopping down to F4 or more when I have larger groups and need them all in focus.

I'd skip the 70-300 that is a slower focusing lens and at 300 slower than the 70-200F4 nor optically as good.

As to weight, I've shot two BtB dress rehearsal that run 4+ hours. I've usually plop in a seat in the middle of the theater propped elbow on my leg, foot on the hand rest from the row in front and I can be good for many hours.

You going to be shooting the actual performance? I always have shot the dress rehearsals from mid theater. Than the main performance from the back lighting booth. For FX and 70-200 the extra pixels or crop is sometimes needed or 70-200 with a TC14. Also to consider unless you are back in the control room I would expect the camera to be disruptive, better have coat or muffle to make sure you don' annoy anyone, unless you have a D810, that is quiet  The 750 should be more than enough pixels even for a larger theater for a little crop.

-- hide signature --

"Today's Pictures Are Tomorrow's Memories"

chipmaster's gear list:chipmaster's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D4 Nikon Df Nikon 1 V3 Nikon D5 +16 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow