Having a hard time to select a lens for a dance performance shooting

Started Feb 23, 2016 | Discussions thread
clarnibass Senior Member • Posts: 2,236
Re: Having a hard time to select a lens for a dance performance shooting

I take a lot of dance photos and if there's decent light you could go with an f/2.8 lens. You already have an f/4 lens and if I understand the main issue is focal length, so you can already know if f/4 is large enough for you depending on ISO and shutter speeds you get now.

If it is, you can go with the 70-200mm f/4 which is significantly lighter. If not and you definitely want a zoom up to around 200mm, then the f/2.8 version is just about the only choice. You can check other 70-200mm f/2.8 lenses that might be a little lighter (maybe the Tamron?).

I don't like heavy lenses (even though I have no problem holding them) and almost always use prime lenses anyway, but if hand holding is an issue maybe you can use a monopod? I'm not sure where you sit/stand. Even a very short monopod and put it on the seat itself between your legs (if you are so limited in space)? Then you can raise the camera/lens only sometimes for some photos.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow