Having a hard time to select a lens for a dance performance shooting

Started Feb 23, 2016 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
zengrapher New Member • Posts: 1
Having a hard time to select a lens for a dance performance shooting

Hello Gurus:

I have a Nikon D750 and 24-120 f/4 lens. I get reasonable photos, but if I sit little far back, I am stretching it thin and not getting good results. Basically I want a higher zoom. This is for photographing dance performances in a stage. The lighting is done from a control room and well lit on stage. Sometimes theaters have black curtain in background, sometimes lighted cues on back wall.

I am looking at zoom lens and I keep hearing about 70-200 f/2.8 in all discussions. But I am going to be hand holding as it is difficult to keep tripod in theaters and monopod becomes not flexible as dancer is continuously moving on the stage. The program will be 2 to 3 hours. Will 2.8 be easy to handhold for couple of hours and operate. My main concern is weight. If the weight is lighter, I will not mind. Budget is not a concern. Mainly ease of holding and mobility. My other choices are 70-300 VR f/4.5-5.6 or 70-200 f/4. I prefer to to to 70-300 as it has higher zoom and can be used elsewhere also. These are not for paid gigs, but I do for a dance school and the best pictures I want to strive for.

Please help!

Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon D750
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow