Stay away from Tamron(24-70 f/2.8)

Started Jul 31, 2012 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
barrym1966 Senior Member • Posts: 1,357
Re: Stay away from Tamron(24-70 f/2.8)

I'd like to see you make the same tests with a Canon 24-70mm f2.8 L II, so we can see the real difference. I believe you'll find that the Canon has similar distortion and vignetting. I tried an original Canon 24-70mm f2.8 L, and that thing vignetted like a bitch at f2.8! It was TOTALLY visible even through the viewfinder of my Canon 5 D.

Tamron has a 5 year warranty, if I'm not mistaken. Why would someone pay 50% to get a lens that has a 1 year warranty, if they don't need the weather sealing . . . or is the Canon even weather sealed?

Canon can be a rip-off sometimes, and I think that their 24-70mm f2.8 L II is one of those lenses that isn't work spending the extra for . . . unless you have money coming out your ears. In that case I'd say go for it. I'm sure the Canon lens is slightly better (as it should be for 50% more money!), but you'll have to take the chance that you'll have to pay to get it fixed after owning it for two or three years. My 50mm f1.4 needed fixing after less than 2 years . . . not under warranty . . . making it a VERY expensive lens.

I love my Tamron 24-70 , agree with the quality control though I bought mine in Amazon, first one had a big white blog of dust inside the lens but the 2nd one was good.

Agree with the vignetting I get it at any aperture and any focal length. Not sure about the distortion my eyes aren't good enough to see it

I love this lens the VC let's me keep my ISOs down at weddings which make it perfect for me and makes the D3x a whole new camera

barrym1966's gear list:barrym1966's gear list
Nikon D750 Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Nikon AF-S Nikkor 20mm f/1.8G ED Nikon D3 +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow