Why the Lens Issues

Started Feb 22, 2016 | Discussions thread
All forumsForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat
dkeller Contributing Member • Posts: 984
Why the Lens Issues

Why is Sony having such a problem with the quality of their lenses for FE and E mount? Are the issues of edge sharpness and excessive distortion at the extremes, especially the wide end, due to technical problems with the short flange distance or, in the latter case, simply over reliance on correction by the camera's and/or post processing?

I really would like to go the Sony ML route, but am really concerned with the native lens quality--even those like the 24-70 with a premium price.

I do recognize the possibility of using non-native lenses but they seem to defeat the size advantage, not to mention adding the adaptor to camera cost. I don't mind that for my A mount lenses, but the ones compatible with the LA3 adaptor are also few and expensive.

Please note THIS IS NOT A FLAME, I really want to go this route due to my older A mount lenses which I would use the LA4 adaptor with, but also would like an affordable lens in the 24-70 or similar range without the edge softness and distortion issues in the current lineup.  I'm about to jump in with the 28-70 Kit anyway and would go the extra for a used 24-70 if not for these issues.

I've also considered the A6000 but there the problem seems even worse.  I'm doing a similar post on that forum also in reference to that camera.

dkeller's gear list:dkeller's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony Alpha a7 II
Sony a6000 Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
All forumsForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow