DIY Neoprene Lens Caps

Started Feb 21, 2016 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
Dan77F2AS New Member • Posts: 15
DIY Neoprene Lens Caps

Here's a DIY solution for lens caps: neoprene bottle holders. They work with some lenses with built-in hoods and other lenses with hoods attached. The lens hood needs to be cylindrical or nearly cylindrical and its diameter must be larger than the end of the the lens barrel.

Cut the length of the bottle holder and fold the open end down. It makes a cap that's easy to slide on and off, stays put and offers some protection to the lens and hood. The cap slips snugly over the hood but fits loosely over the lens barrel. The two layers of neoprene over the barrel slightly shrink the diameter of the bottle holder and prevent the cap from falling off. It's soft, flexible and cheap.

I found a local craft/sporting goods/hardware store that had a variety of neoprene bottle holders with diameters ranging from 5.5 cm to 9.5 cm. They cost only about $2.00 each.

I use them on these m4/3 lenses: Lumix 7-14mm f4 and Olympus 45mm f1.8.

I use a 7.5 cm diameter bottle holder on the 7-14mm. Before cutting it was about 18 cm long and I cut it to 9 cm. Then folded 2.5 cm of the open end down. It slides just right over the built-in hood and fits a little loose around the body of the lens but wont fall off.

Lens hood on Oly 45 f1.8 is the Fotasy H37S. It's smaller than the Olympus hood and works well with the neoprene cap. The diameter of the neoprene bottle holder: 5.5 cm. Cut to 8 cm long with 2 cm of the open end folded down.

I hope others find this useful.

Olympus 7-14mm F2.8 Pro Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H3 Tamron SP 45mm F1.8 Di VC USD
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow