Nepal trekking with OM-D (lots of pictures!)

Started Jan 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
robwarrenarmes Junior Member • Posts: 44
Re: Nepal Questions

arobert wrote:

Each trek is different. Treks in the Everest, Anapurna or other well-travelled destinations are cheaper because there are lodges everywhere, food is available everywhere, you need less portrers, etc. On a wilder trek your price per day will be higher.

I took an organized trek with a fixed price. On top of that you are expected to pay 10% tip at the end and distribute that among the guide, sherpas and porters.

Some people hire guides and porters directly without an agency and detemine their own itinerary. It gets cheaper this way and you can negotiate the price on your own.

Another option, at least as of 2-3 years ago, not sure about now, is to go either with just a guide (and carry your own pack -- since staying in lodges you don't need that much), or on your own. The latter is only an option on well-established treks such as Annapurna, Everest, and Langtang / Helambu.

BTW I just wanted to add also that I really enjoyed the shots. Definitely makes me wish I'd had the G3 I have now instead of my FZ7 when I went then, but you shoot with what you've got, and the main thing is to be there...

I trekked Annapurna circuit in 2003 and shot with a Canon IXUS (original version - cost me £600 in 2002!) and the quality is fine for 5x7. But like you say, you shoot with what you have and in those days it was either an (expensive) 3mp digital or film and i don't regret taking the little Ixus with me. Even in those days i could recharge every 2-3 days en route, and my 3 x 64mb memory cards did me just fine. Apart from the fact they cost me a fortune. Here is one of mine from 2003 with that lowly Ixus.

OK, little bit soft image, but it's the memories that count, right ?

Miss that thin air - need to get back there !!!

robwarrenarmes's gear list:robwarrenarmes's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL6 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
DB3
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow