OK. I get it now. I love it. I’m keepin’ it.

Started Feb 15, 2016 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Corelli Veteran Member • Posts: 4,380
OK. I get it now. I love it. I’m keepin’ it.

So, after setting off a firestorm of discussion with my first post in this forum let’s see where this one takes us.

First, in my original post I NEVER said I didn’t like the A7r. I was simply not impressed with the results I was getting with the Zeiss 24-70 on it in comparison to my a6000 and kit lens.

It’s obvious to me now that the lens was the limiting factor since I finally had a chance to get out and take some “real” pictures with the a7r and 24-70 and the a6000 16-50.

Again, I was less than impressed for the reasons stated previously.

Well, that all changed when I put on the 55 1.8!

Cue the Hallelujah chorus! Rays of sunlight breaking through the clouds! Butterflies in my stomach!

Is it love at first sight? Yes! Yes!

Now THAT IS IMPRESSIVE. THAT is what I was hoping for!

THAT opens new avenues to explore and has reawakened my joy for photography. Can’t wait to do come night photography and portraits.

Why didn’t people just say it?: The a7r is a camera meant to be used with the very best primes!

The 24-70 is going back today.

The 35 2.8 is on the way.

I tried the 10-18 on the A7r, but there’s still pretty crazy distortion even after correction in DxO 10.

The older Tamron 90 2.8 macro performs beautifully with the laea-r adapter. That is where the sumptuous color, detail and tonality are most evident IMO (from what I’ve seen so far!). I never did like the way that the a6000 rendered deep reds (too orange). The 70-300G and the laea-4 also work well, but the lack of stabilization means using higher ISOs or a tripod/monopod. Fortunately high ISO performance is also clearly better.

As far as the shutter noise is concerned I don't find it so bad. It's certainly not as loud as my film cameras were. I'll see how it sounds in a church.

Menus are pretty much the same as the a6000. I'll either have to get used to or modify the button assignments. Love the EVF. I missed the higher res on my a77, but got used to the a6000. Side by side of course it becomes quite noticeable.

I’ll be keeping the a6000, 16-50, 18-105G and 55-210 for general purpose and I’m more convinced than ever that that is one of the greatest value kits out there.

But I’ve seen the light even if it’s through the black hole of a depleted savings account.

A question: Are users here satisfied with the 16-35 F4? I’ve read generally good reviews, but some are not so good.

I’m wondering if I should keep the 10-18 for the a6000 or get the 16-35 for the a7r. Comments please.

It was a rather dreary day in the local park, but here are a few photos SOOC (no claims of artistry here) which made the difference for me:

Cheers

-- hide signature --
 Corelli's gear list:Corelli's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony a7R II Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Samyang T-S 24mm F3.5 +15 more
Sony a6000 Sony a7R Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow