XT2 plus 100-400 vs D500 plus 200-500

Started Feb 10, 2016 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
DaveJC
DaveJC Senior Member • Posts: 1,884
XT2 plus 100-400 vs D500 plus 200-500

Right now, Fuji covers most of my photography. Since selling my Pentax gear to buy into Fuji, I find myself minus a birding rig. Not a big deal as the Pentax never matched my club buddies performance of their C or N setups. So I was pleased to see Fuji release the FX 100-400. Then at nearly the same time, Nikon released the D500 for about what the XT2 will probably sell for when it is released. This has given me pause for my dream of using only one setup.  I fully suspect that the D500 would run rings around the XT version of the XPro2 in sports or birding. My experience with the XT1 in action photography was painful. Oh, you can do it but unless you shoot in bursts, the EVF gets locked onto last image and become useless for tracking. I know that the Pro2 is faster in storing but I suspect the same problem would exist. Plus the 200-500 is less expensive than the 100-400 by quite a bit. They both seem to get high marks but it is nearly impossible to compare them side by side. While yes, the FL ranges would be a little different, I am looking for a birding rig. Since I have the 50-140 plus 1.4 TC, the low end of the Fuji zoom would be optional for me and lead right into the 200 of the Nikon. Both body lens combos come would come in near the same price assuming same Fuji pricing for XT2 as for XT1. So for me, the D500 has muddied the Fuji 100-400 water or even the XT2 for that matter. I am quite happy with my Pro1 and XT1 for street and nature photography. Your thoughts....

-- hide signature --

DaveJC

DaveJC's gear list:DaveJC's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T3 Nikon Z7 II Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR +6 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow