The D750 is no heir to the D700 throne by any means!

Started Feb 6, 2016 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
RandyYPoto New Member • Posts: 24
The D750 is no heir to the D700 throne by any means!

I'm tired of people who haven't used the D700 for years trying to tell us that the D750 is a true successor to the D700. It is NOT!

It IS a successor to the D610, and noted in the enthusiast line from nikon, not the Pro line.

If you bought the D750 and love it good, thats awesome I'm glad you love it.  It will make you great photographs.

But quit throwing in of bunch of modern specs and making some assumption its the replacement since is in has a 7 name. The D610 has some of these modern specs, nobody clams it is the D700 replacement.

I bought a 750, it it was ok but I felt like I just wasted $2,000 so I returned it: Explaining why would be a different post.

To understand and appreciate what a D700 replacement would be, you have to understand what it was the day it was released and you have to understand and appreciate what the D3 was.

The D3 was the camera that saved Nikon from getting its ass handed to them from Canon. It was the game changer that sent Canon scrambling. Nikon designed a beautiful sensor that could shoot in low light light like no other digital camera in the world.  Remember, back then ISO 800 sucked. I still shot a lot of film due to digital just not being good enough, film was still better in many situations: Before D3.

The D3 was more of a significant game changer that the D4, the D4s and (maybe) D5 after it. All the sudden, the D3 was THE camera to have and it was $5,000 for PRO's only.

Then (all the sudden and out of the blue) Nikon released the D700 with the same sensor for a bit more than half the price. Weather sealed, pro focusing, pro controls, pro body etc. A baby D3, and the colors where beautiful and it handled like a dream.

At $3,000 it still was not cheap, full frame sensors where much more expensive to manufacture back then. But it was much more affordable then the D3. And, they could not keep them on the shelves.

The D700 was not noted in the "Enthusiast" line of camera's, it was a pro camera. It made a mockery of anything in the enthusiast the line between them where not as blurred as they are now.

When people say a true D700 replacement would the same sensor and all the awesome things in the flagship D5 in a smaller body and cheaper: don't laugh, don't mock, don't roll your eyes at the comment because that is exactly what the D700 was the day it was announced.

A lot of people think the D800 was the D700 successor, I would accept that quicker than I would accept the D750 and the D810 may actually be my next body.  But there are differences in the experience and I believe the D800 was not really a D700 replacement it was game changer for different reasons.

When I think of a true D700 replacement, I think off all the D5 goodies in a D810 body.  Because thats exactly what the D700 was.

RandyYPoto's gear list:RandyYPoto's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G
Nikon D3 Nikon D4 Nikon D4S Nikon D5 Nikon D610 Nikon D700 Nikon D750 Nikon D800 Nikon D810
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
GBJ
glo
KSV
GBJ
(unknown member)
KSV
KSV
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow