Absolutly Superb

Started Feb 3, 2016 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
CptAmerica
CptAmerica Senior Member • Posts: 1,746
Absolutly Superb

I've been shooting with this lens for a number of years now, and it is, and basically always has been, my go-to lens for portrait work. At 1.4 the IQ isn't stellar... its good, but not magazine cover worthy. Once you get to f2 and up, this lens really begins to shine.  Most shoulder-up portraits I shoot with this lens I shoot at f5.6 anyway, where the lens is flawless. Fantastic color, contrast, sharpness, with a bokeh that is so clean and fluid, that with people that know to look for it, it almost draws your attention away from the subject itself, it is so pretty. The bokeh is really what this lens is known for.

The only downside to this lens, is that it isn't an AF-S lens, so auto-focus is slow and tends to hunt a bit from time to time, on both my D2x and D4. For studio work this isn't an issue of course, but sometimes I like to chase my son around the house with this lens and it can be challenging. You can pick these up used on ebay or keh for a VERY reasonable price, and obtain what has been called the best portrait lens money can buy.

CptAmerica's gear list:CptAmerica's gear list
Nikon D850 Sigma 105mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G +7 more
Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D
Telephoto prime lens • Nikon F (FX) • 1933
CptAmerica's score
Average community score
Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Nikon D2X Nikon D4
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow