Anyone using RawTherapee?

Started Jan 30, 2016 | Discussions thread
Mark Scott Abeln
Mark Scott Abeln Forum Pro • Posts: 13,412
Excellent

beatlephile wrote:

I have heard about this raw program for years but I have always just used Lightroom and Photoshop before that. Today, out of curiosity I installed RawTherapee and was immediately impressed. It seems like it has even more fine controls than the other tools I've tried. I'm actually having quite a bit of fun with it at the moment.

Do any of you use this as your main raw converter?

It was my main raw converter for a few years: now I use DxO Optics Pro, for its excellent optical corrections, but I've not found anything that beats RawTherapee in its rendering of fine tonality.

One advantage of RawTherapee is that uses unbounded, high-precision arithmetic in its pipeline; this avoids clipping and allows for better tonality of highly manipulated images. It also has a nice toolset, and I especially like the CIECAM02 adjustments. All of this is at the disadvantage of being exceptionally slow, but images can be processed in batch after editing, so this ins't as much of a disadvantage as it may seem.

Recently I learned that it's possible to use Adobe's lens profiles in RawTherapee, and I'll have to try that out.

Mark Scott Abeln's gear list:Mark Scott Abeln's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D7000 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow