Not what I hoped for

Started Jan 30, 2016 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
c h u n k
c h u n k Senior Member • Posts: 1,693
Not what I hoped for

I heard so many good things about this lens that Ive had it on my list for a while...and found a wedding photographer that is drowning in L glass and dumping her older lenses for a good price. Given, this was not new and some of my disappointment may be due to something that happened to the lens, but it seems nearly as good as new, with the exception of a very small scratch on the very outer edge of the glass, which can't be found in photos even if you try.

1st, the focus is easily this lenses biggest weakness...and I mean weak. It's too slow for any moderate action, so no moving dogs or running children, let alone any sports. The focus, in real world situations is also not very reliable. I test on high contrast focus targets and get it smack in the middle consistently. Put it on a face and it's front, then back, then focuses, then back then front...you get the picture. Also...and this is weird, but even though focus is accurate on targets, when in live view on my 70d, it is WAY off. It basically can't be used in live view, unless set to quick focus, which uses the LCD and phase detect, but the lcd goes black when focusing.

2nd, and this is where I've been mostly disappointed. We all learn pretty quickly that just because a lens opens to f:2.8, doesn't mean it's as good wide open...but when zoomed in and wide open, it's almost too soft to be considered usable. It seems much sharper at 2.8 between 28 and around 40mm, but for portraits and the kid, I'm going to be closer to 70/75mm the high majority of the time. I will say this lens, even when zoomed in is very sharp when stopped down. Even just stopped down to 3.5 there is a noticable difference, but the the picture at 5.6 is really, very nice. Even great. That's the lenses only saving grace....

All in all, if you can get it for $135, I say it's limited use is worth it because of how good it is within that narrow range of use - zoomed wide, or stopped down and static subjects. I wouldn't suggest paying ticket price though...UNLESS it is my copy and I guess that is a possibility.

-- hide signature --

Some of my photos here: https://flic.kr/ps/2i6XL3
“You're off to Great Places! Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting, So... get on your way!” --Dr. Seuss

c h u n k's gear list:c h u n k's gear list
Canon EOS 70D Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) +7 more
Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF)
Zoom lens • Canon EF, Nikon F (FX), Pentax KAF, Sony/Minolta Alpha • A09
c h u n k's score
Average community score
Canon EOS 70D Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow