X-E2s - a worthwhile upgrade?

Started Jan 15, 2016 | Discussions thread
babart Senior Member • Posts: 2,091
Re: X-E2s - a worthwhile upgrade?

bs1946 wrote:

I have the Fuji 18mm f/2.0 and 60mm f/2.4 plus the Zeiss Touit 1.8/32.

I don't like the 60mm at all and only used it once. Image quality is fine but in one outing, I managed to confirm all the negatives people report about autofocus speed, noise, and hunting.

The Zeiss is a wonderful lens but I have some kind of a mental block against the 50mm FOV and have to force myself to use it. Bought the Olympus 25mm f/1.8 when I had my E-M10 and only used it twice before I sold it. When I got my X-A1 and then my X-E1, I also had the 18mm f/2.0 and 35mm f/1.4. When I was debating about returning to Fuji and kept looking at my old Fuji photos, I noticed that I didn't have a single one taken with the 35mm. Either I had no keepers or never used the 35mm.

I will keep my 18mm because it is a great little lens. I bought it with the X-E2 and until I got the 12mm, it was never off the X-E2. I'm going to sell the 1.8/32 and 60mm when I get back from vacation. Both of them are sitting back in their boxes. I got both of them used, on Ebay, in like new condition with everything in the original boxes. If I get most of what I paid back I will be happy.

Are those the Contax G lenses or Zeiss m-mount lenses. I had a G2 with the 35/2.0, 45/2.0, and 90/2.8. Sold it when I switched to digital.

-- hide signature --

Bill S.
“The picture is good or not from the moment it was caught in the camera.”
– Henri Cartier-Bresson

Glad you mentioned the trouble with the 60mm, as it's a lens I started to buy more than once.  I have a 90mm Tamron macro with a PK mount, so I opted not to buy another macro.

Seems you are averse to the 45-55mm focal length.  I'm the opposite and shot with 50mm lenses from the 1950s so I'm very accustomed to that field of view.  Many photographers love their 35mm, but I have an aversion to that lens.  Not sure why, but it tilts buildings like a wide-angle and doesn't allow the close cropping of a mild telephoto.  Guess I just got used to using a 50 and 28, that I carried continuously, adding a 100mm macro later.

The Zeiss I bought are Contax/Yashica mount.  The three lenses and adapter to the Sony E mount cost me a whole USD850, which I consider more than worth the money.  I'm finished buying lenses for the Sony for a long time.  The Sony/Zeiss lenses are quite expensive and I hear too many complaints that they really aren't Zeiss quality.  Rokinon makes several lenses for Sony E mount, and I have the 14mm f/2.8.  Later I might consider a 21/1.4 or 35/1.4, but frankly I have a Canon 20/2.8 and Pentax Takumar 35/3.5 that I only use occasionally, so I'm in no hurry there.

-- hide signature --

BAB

babart's gear list:babart's gear list
Sony Alpha a7 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow