Is sensor technology maturing?

Started Jan 20, 2016 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
JimKasson
JimKasson Forum Pro • Posts: 17,922
Is sensor technology maturing?

Maturing, in the negative sense, aka slowing down. One of my former employers, IBM, had a similarly Orwellian take on language from time to time. One of my favorites was "stabilize", as in "We're gonna stabilize that product line." Sounds good, right? What it actually meant was that we're gonna stop making improvements, and, at some point, we're gonna stop fixing bugs."

But I digress.

I recently ran across a very short, and moderately non-technical paper, describing the author's take on the state of the art in sensor design as of a year or so ago.

Eric Fossum will recognize that, for someone skilled in the art, this is all old hat, but for me, seeing these amazing things all put together in one place was impressive.

Take a look:

http://www.chipworks.com/sites/default/files/Fontaine_0.1_The%20State-of-the-Art%20of%20Mainstream%20CMOS%20Image%20Sensors.pdf

One of the things that jumped out at me was the 1.5 um (!) optical stack on a 1.1 um pitch sensor. Then there's chip stacking (with 90 nm features and 40 nm ISP features!), BSI, and on and on.

No, I don't think sensor tech is maturing. And that's a good thing.

Jim

-- hide signature --
 JimKasson's gear list:JimKasson's gear list
Nikon D5 Fujifilm GFX 50S Sony a9 Nikon D850 Sony Alpha a7R III +4 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow