Please Mr Nikon, no video

Started Jan 13, 2016 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
seoulsurvivor Regular Member • Posts: 481
Please Mr Nikon, no video

This will put the cat amongst the pigeons. There is no doubt that the latest products to be announced, the D5 and D500 look to be great cameras.........on paper at least, and I'm sure they'll sell well to their intended market. Well done, Nikon!

But with all the latest features and enhancements that accompany these new products which no doubt evolve as a result of market feedback, I wonder if we will ever see a camera in the future which lacks video and is aimed squarely at the stills photographer. Think about the amazingly popular (and still is an all time favorite of many) D700.

I for one have never used the video component of my cameras and I guarantee I never will in the future. Video just doesn't interest me at all. Surely I'm not alone in this boat. Yes, yes, I know Nikon is not going to build a camera just for me and I know some will say that it's better to have it available if ever you need it. I get all that. But many users are paying for a feature that they will never use and I would love to see a quality product slipped into the product range which gives consumers a choice between video or no video. With the D800/D800e we had a choice of AA filter or not. In the D5 we have a choice of CF cards or XQD cards. Surely it wouldn't be that difficult to give us a video option.

Personally, if I had a FF body say with 24mp and the build quality of the old D700 or the later D8** models, but minus the video, I'd probably never part with it. Surely there must be a huge market for such a camera based around thousands upon thousands of users who never use and never intend to use the video component.

I'm sure it will never happen because camera production has much to do with keeping up with or staying ahead of the opposition and it would probably require Nikon to go out on a limb and take a huge gamble with such a product. A product sans video to me would be all about getting back to basics, but at a higher level. I may be totally wrong, but I would venture to say that many of the pro sports shooters or photo journos who simply want quality images at a super high frame rate, rarely if ever use the video function and would love to see a product simply aimed at stills photography if it came at a reduced price.

No doubt many readers will come back to me telling me they use their video all the time and I have no idea what I'm talking about. Fair enough, but I'd like to see what non video users have to say and what they would like to see in their future non video FF body.

Cheers

seoulsurvivor's gear list:seoulsurvivor's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D810 Tokina AT-X Pro 100mm f/2.8 Macro Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +4 more
Nikon D5 Nikon D500 Nikon D700 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
KSV
KSV
KSV
MOD TOF guy
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow