Micro Four Thirds compared to the rest

Started Jan 11, 2016 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
NCV
NCV Forum Pro • Posts: 11,651
Micro Four Thirds compared to the rest

I was inspired by all the "E" threads we have at present to write the following as I think we have lost sight of some important things recently on this Forum.

Up until a couple of years ago I had always used first Nikon SLR’s and then DSLR’s with firstly fast primes and then later fast 2.8 zooms.

I must say they served me well for the photography I did ( mostly theatrical) and if I still had the same photographic interests I would probably now be in line for the superb new D500. Or even perhaps I would now be using the superb Nikon FF cameras.

But interests change and I started doing a lot of hiking in the mountains as well as travel photography.

I discovered M43 quite by accident when I bought a second hand GF3 to use for my work. I realised that it might be more sensible to carry a little camera like this on long hikes. My dealer convinced me to try the EM5 and the rest is history.

At the moment in this forum there is a lot of angst and often unpleasantness about our M43 system verses the rest. Primarily because of the Sony FF cameras I think.

I am certain that a larger sensored camera will give advantages in image quality and perhaps be better for some types of photography like portraiture where shallow depth of field ids prized.

But I am sticking with M43. I can live with the slightly inferior image quality. The larger depth of field in my lenses does not bother me. But the thing about my EM5 or GX1 Is that it is a camera that I can carry most of the time. I have a bag for a full kit and I can also just slip the EM5 with my 12-35 2.8 into my briefcase if I am out and about for work. I have a set of pictures taken in these circumstances that are amongst my favourites of an almost unrepeatable scene I came across. If I was still using a DSLR I would certainly not have had a camera with me. ( before anybody says it: a cell phone would not have been sufficient for this scene).

It is a perfect system for long hikes. I wonder how I ever managed to carry my old DSLR up mountains now. Hiking has become for me a lot less tiring with less weight to carry.

I hear of lot of people say that the larger heavier cameras are a fag to carry and so often get left at home. Whereas my “production” of photographs has gone up with M43

It is brilliant for travel. Being more discrete I can often take pictures were I might of had problems where “Pro Cameras” are banned and for street I just pass for a tourist with a toy camera.

I must add that IBIS is a miracle in the dark Italian monuments I photograph where tripods are forbidden.

We could also put camras like the 1" Nikon's in the place of M43

So why all this quibbling over technical comparisons between formats when the reasons for adopting a system are mostly practical.

Discuss.

-- hide signature --
 NCV's gear list:NCV's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon Z7
Nikon D500 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
NCV
NCV
(unknown member)
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
NCV
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
NCV
NCV
NCV
(unknown member)
NCV
NCV
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow