What should I Shut Up and do? D700, D810 or Hold My Breath?

Started Jan 9, 2016 | Discussions thread
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 3,985
Re: More info thanks to Schroedingers_cat

RandyYPoto wrote:

I mostly shoot Natural Light Portraits and Landscapes. Glass, my portrait baby is the Nikon 85mm 1.4 I also shoot with the 50 1.4 and the 70-200 VR.

I heart Bokeh!

What I plan to gain from the new technology in the camera?

Being a natural light guy, sometimes I would like to bump up the ISO a bit more than I feel comfortable with on the D700.

I would like more Dynamic Range than my D700 gives me.

Everyone seams to say stuff like the D810 is "Magical", and give it all the praise in the world. Especially for what I do, Landscapes and Portraits.

But my biggest concern is that I spend the next year obsessing over a "possible" replacement and wast my days surfing DP review and other blogs instead of shooting.

Years ago someone posted here "How come there are not as many Girls on DP Review as Boys?"

Someone answered "Because they are busy shooting and not wasting there time here."

Yes, there is a camera just around the corner that will make all current Nikons appear seconds rate. And two years later there is another that everyone will say is "magical".

This is, after all, not a photography site, it's a gear site

After reading your amplified comments, I think it's clear you would tremendously enjoy having the new camera right nowand will likely never look back on your decision. Much better to visit the B & H website today and start making images next week than worry about what's in the pipeline.

The biggest thing is make photographs.

And post something from your new camera.

And I just noticed that this is you 9th post, so a belated welcome to the forum

-- hide signature --

http://www.nightstreets.com
-
"Sick cultures show a complex of symptoms such as you have named...but a dying culture invariable exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners is more significant than a riot."
This symptom is especially serious in that an individual displaying it never thinks of it as a sign of ill health but as proof of his/her strength. ...Friday, it is too late to save this culture--this worldwide culture... Therefore we must now prepare the monasteries for the coming Dark Age. Electronic records are too fragile..."
--Robert A. Heinlein in "Friday"

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow