3D Lens attachment (w Mirrors)

Started Jun 29, 2015 | Discussions thread
crunchy_3d Regular Member • Posts: 140
Re: 3D Lens attachment (w Mirrors)

chrvi wrote:

I'm glad I found this thread. I'm also considering buying a pair of Canon S95 cameras and connect them in a rig but I worry the minimal distance between their lenses will be too great for a natural look of the 3d photos (I wanted to shoot portraits most and dislike hyper-stereo 3D photos) - which I also found discussed in this thread.

Yes, for portraits, 77mm may be slightly exaggerated. Even if you have almost no background on the picture, you might result in exaggerated depth in z-axis (although stereo parallax would be still within limits if there is no background).

If I understand correctly, I simply cannot achieve the "real" looking 3d images 'cause the lenses will always be to far from each other (given they're both in the landscape orientation)

Yes, slightly exaggerated "depth".

So just one dumb question - has use of zoom any effect on the resulting 3d image?
I mean, if I zoom in/out will there be any difference in the resulting 3d effect?
Or will the only effect be a smaller area being captured by both cameras?

Yes, 2x zoom will result in 2x larger stereo parallax (you should not exceed 1/30 of the landscape picture width). If there is no background (you take only head with one-colour background), you may still get less than 1/30 stereo parallax even with 70-80mm equivalent. However, the resulting stereo picture might be still slightly exaggerated in z-axis (depth). So nose might appear slightly longer than in reality. On the other hand, zooming decreases the "feel of depth", so you may result in useful picture. Everything depends on the viewing device as well, of course.

Why don't you try by yourself and take two (horizontally displaced) pictures of some let's say larger teddy-bear?

PS: ...and it's sad one cannot use external flash with S95... and cannot play with shallow DOF as with DSLRs... one always needs to search for compromises...

At least you can trigger external flash by internal one? You may decrease flash power in StereoData Maker (I think it's possible). Some time ago I used my electronics which directly triggered external flash, but it does not work on the newest (high-precision) SDM versions.

Damir

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow