The Sony A7s - Birders' dream camera?

Started Jun 5, 2014 | Discussions thread
Bart B Van Bockstaele
Bart B Van Bockstaele New Member • Posts: 13
Re: The Sony A7s - Birders' dream camera?

Vince Lux wrote:

Bart B Van Bockstaele wrote:

Alex P Scorsch wrote:

I think the Sony A7s would be the wildlife and bird photographer's dream camera. When the birds and animals are active it's usually about 6:00 am and relatively dark, especially in the rainforest were I often shoot. With the high ISO capabilities and the small apertures of long telephoto lenses this might be a great choice. One only has to decide if one wants to live with the relatively low pixel count. I think it would be worthwhile, even if adapters are in order for the "big guns".

I am – finally – about to find it out. I'm waiting for the a7s to come in. Do you have any experience by now, or know someone who does? I have found precious little information and examples so far, even though the A7s has now been on the market for almost a year.

I indeed wanted to get the best result possible in impossible situations.

It is not always great photography wise, but compared to the alternative (which is a Nikon D3S, D4, D4S type of camera) there are some advantages for the A7S (cheaper, lighter, smaller, more versatile ...) and disadvantages (battery life, AF, native wildlife lenses, ...)

I used the A7s with a Nikon 600mm f4 + TC2, manual focus. This gets extremely difficult due to the long telephoto, the distance through air and high ISO setting, which gives more noise in real dim light. But it does go into ISO levels which others can not even try and gives very clear "scientific" data on your subject.

All in all the A7s can give very good results (it is a fantastic stills camera with high dynamic range and colour depth), but it is no miracle either, sometimes too dark is simply too dark.

It would seem that we have the same goals, and similar experiences. As you say, sometimes too dark is simply too dark. Clearly, the people who claim the camera works in "(near) total darkness" have not actually used the camera, or what they claim to be (near) total darkness is simply what I call "low light". The camera cannot show what is not actually there, and it is still – at least for me – substantially less light-sensitive than the human eye.

-- hide signature --

Life is like a roller coaster. The ride is thrilling, but the end is disappointing.

Bart B Van Bockstaele's gear list:Bart B Van Bockstaele's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P610 Olympus Tough TG-4 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX90V Sony Alpha a7S Sony a6300 +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
gil
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow