When to use/not use Electronic First Curtain Shutter on A7II

Started Mar 17, 2015 | Questions thread
Kiril Karaatanasov Senior Member • Posts: 2,100
Re: bokeh is affected, try it out

vett93 wrote:

Kiril Karaatanasov wrote:

JimKasson wrote:

I have found no effect of EFCS on bokeh.

Broken get's clipped and not so smooth with higher shutter speeds and EFCS. Try shooting at 1.4 or 1.8 apertures with telephoto like 85 or 135 and some nice light in the background at speeds around 1/1000 or lower and with higher speeds. It is at some specific speeds that some sort distortion to broken becomes apparent. So in general avoid EFCS with wide aperture and high speed exceeding 1/1000

The effect is easily visible after some experimentation and is also identified in the camera manual so I would not discard it

Can you show some examples to back up your claim?

It is best to try yourself with your own lenses and decide for yourself. I am not a prosecutor or lawyer to back any claims. Nor is DPreview a sort of public court. I am sharing my own experience. If you want to leverage it ok if not I am fine - it is your photos that will be messed up.

Anyway I put the Batis on and took few pictures. Here is comparison left is without EFCS adn 1/1600 and right is with EFCS. As you can clearly see the circles on the right side are clearly incomplete and clipped form the bottom. As well you can see how bokeh is much less buttery and smooth with EFCS also some details form sharp lines etc.

The example is extreme but you will see similar albeit lesser difference at higher speeds like 1/2000 even 1/1600. 1/1000 is mostly ok but still one can notice the clipping of bokeh and harsher rendering.

It is just pointless to buy a 1000 Euro/dollar lens and ruin its rendering with subpar settings....

PS It may as well be worth reading the manual. Sony clearly explained the side effects fo using EFCS.... http://helpguide.sony.net/ilc/1450/v1/en/contents/TP0000226634.html

• When you shoot at high shutter speeds with a large diameter lens attached, the ghosting of a blurred area may occur, depending on the subject or shooting conditions. In such cases, set this function to [Off].
  • When a lens made by another manufacturer (including a Minolta/Konica-Minolta lens) is used, set this function to [Off]. If you set this function to[On], the correct exposure will not be set or the image brightness will be uneven.
  • When you shoot at high shutter speeds, the image brightness may become uneven depending on the shooting environment. In such cases, set [e-Front Curtain Shut.] to [Off].
 Kiril Karaatanasov's gear list:Kiril Karaatanasov's gear list
Sony a6300 Sony a7R III
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow