Light and surprising good!

Started Dec 21, 2015 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Dylthedog Contributing Member • Posts: 862
Light and surprising good!

I got this as part of package - I didn't really want it but it was just a few pounds for a longer lens that I thought I'd sell as I already had a Panny lens with the same spec plus IS.

The truth is that it's probably the best value lens I have, and I ended up selling the Panny 40-150mm instead.

It's plastic (polycarbonate I think) which makes it really light and compact yet stable, unlike the Panny which was less compact and about as heavy as brick. It has a nice fast zoom action and the max aperture at the long isn't ideal, but I've still taken a good number of shots I wouldn't ordinarily have got because the lens was small and light enough to pack when the Panny would have sat at home. I haven't missed the IS on the Panny either, the Olympus sensor IS makes up for it.

On top this, the image quality is actually pretty good! Sure, corner sharpness isn't stellar but I've taken some of my favourite portraits with this and achieved nice levels of background blur, despite the lower max aperture. For me it also beats the Panasonic on contrast, which took an unwelcome dip at the long end.

For what it cost now it's a no-brainer and should feature in your bag even if you have some of the new high-quality zooms, just based on size/weight to quality ratio.

Dylthedog's gear list:Dylthedog's gear list
Sony RX1R II Olympus PEN-F Sony a7R III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +8 more
Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6
Telephoto zoom lens • Micro Four Thirds
Announced: Aug 31, 2010
Dylthedog's score
Average community score
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow