OVF and LV metering

Started Dec 18, 2015 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Woodbird New Member • Posts: 7
OVF and LV metering

I have a 7D mark II. Usually I shoot with the optical view finder. Sometime the image just appears a little to bright. Today I was using live view and noticed that the brightness seems to be much better. So I did some experiment.

I put the camera in Av mode, manually set the ISO, in controlled light, I shoot with both LV and OVF, and recorded the shuterspeed. In both cases, the metering was the default evaluative. I noticed that the LV images were consistently shot with 1 stop less exposure than those using the OVF.

I understand that the metering sensor for OVF is not the same as the one used for LV, with the former having a dedicated sensor and the later use the imaging sensor itself (correct me if I am wrong). The LV might be more accurate. However, is this kind of 1 stop difference common or am I having a problematic body?

I think it is possible that they will be different if the light is significantly uneven across the frame, for example with a bright subject in the corner, since the dedicated sensor does not cover the whole frame while LV read the metering information directly from the whole image sensor (again, correct me if I am wrong). However, in my experiment, I tried to control the light as even as possible: in a bright daylight, indoor, with a blind sheet cover the windows.

Canon EOS 7D Mark II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow