Advice re first purchase

Started Nov 23, 2015 | Discussions thread
OP jprny Regular Member • Posts: 180
Thanks!

I sincerely appreciate everyone's help.  I just ordered the AZ-EQ5 mount.  I wasn't up for the weight of the EQ6 and couldn't afford the GM8 plus the extras needed with that.  Might not last me forever, but should be very nice to start.

I also ordered the Skywatcher ProED120 (f/7.5) with the .85 reducer/flattener.  This seemed like a nice package with less overlap with my existing long lenses then the 80s.  I'm sure I'll replace pieces if I really get into it, but again, it seems like a good place to start along with just using my camera and lenses.  I should be right about 15 pounds on the mount with everything for AP with the OTA.

I picked up the Orion magnificent mini used and bought the combination SLR kit (prime focus and eyepiece) from telescopeadapaters.

So, the homework ramps up to high gear now.  And of course, our unseasonably warm temps here in the Northeast will come to an end as soon as I'm ready to go :-).

Thanks again for the assistance.  It was a great help in navigating the compromises.

-- hide signature --

www.pbase.com/jprny

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow