Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM: the perfect 400mm budget option for A7II?

Started Dec 14, 2015 | Discussions thread
NomadMark
NomadMark Contributing Member • Posts: 610
Re: Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM: the perfect 400mm budget option for A7II?

KwhyChang wrote:

A long time ago I was making the decision between the EF 100-400 and the EF 400. I chose the zoom, thinking it would be more useful/versatile. After seeing many shots from the prime compared against the ones that I took at 400 on the zoom, it made me regret that decision for many years. Although I don't own it, I would recommend it.

I'm grappling with the same issue ... 400mm FL for my a7Rii:

• IIRC, I noticed a deal on the EF 100-400 mark-one for $999. Probably related to the release of the very highly rated mark-two. Might have been refurbished?
  • Used mark-one's might be very good value, if in good-to-excellent condition.
  • I own a Sigma 150-500 OS for Canon EF mount, but I've never been that happy with it.
  • And it is Very Glitchy with my FotodioX adapter ... works erratically and then sometimes locks up a7Rii.
  • Overall, I feel I get better results over the Sigma using my EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS mark-two, and major cropping ... especially since it has the fast f2.8 aperture for interiors. The Sigma at 400+mm doesn't seem to get all that sharp even at f8.

For the $$$, you can't beat the 400 5.6L in terms of IQ. The original 100-400 doesn't come close.

Great results here. I love mine.
--
https://www.flickr.com/photos/nomadmark/

NomadMark's gear list:NomadMark's gear list
Sony a7 III Canon EOS R Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM +10 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow