Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM: the perfect 400mm budget option for A7II?

Started Dec 14, 2015 | Discussions thread
Jeff2013
Jeff2013 Senior Member • Posts: 2,995
Re: Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM: the perfect 400mm budget option for A7II?

The Canon Ef 400mm f5.6L has an outstanding reputation and possibly provides the highest IQ/dollar of any of the long lenses.

If you need more flexibility in the future (when used lenses become available), I have found the Sony 70-400mm G2 to be one of the sharpest zooms I have used. It is noticeably sharper than my Nikon AF-S 80-400mm. Surprisingly, it readily locks on to BIF (even small birds) with the A7RII/Metabones IV. Also, the bokeh is amazingly smooth for a zoom:

The following are some shots I took last week with this lens. The first shot was taken at the zoo and the remainder were taken at a river close to where I live:

(Unfortunately, converting to JPG and loading on this site really causes detail loss. When viewed on my 5K monitor, prior to converting to JPG, the detail is amazing.)

Cropped about 70% - not a good shot - just posting to show what the lens can do.

Heavily cropped - again, not a great shot - just showing what the lens can do.

-- hide signature --
 Jeff2013's gear list:Jeff2013's gear list
Sony a9 Sony a7R IV Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS Sony 1.4x Teleconverter (2016) +10 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow