D7200 HPS (hot pixel suppression) news

Started Dec 8, 2015 | Discussions thread
bolador Contributing Member • Posts: 540
Re: D7200 HPS (hot pixel suppression) news

bolador wrote:

With being "better" do you mean "not as bad"?

Or is this better to nothing..
As I suspect this kind of intervention to the data is not any good to astro photography. When a stack of dark frames should do a better job...

hot pixels are very bright, even the Poisson noise from the hot part is likely to completely mask any low light detail still recorded on such a pixel.  Also a good stack of dark cannot do away with it, it only may give an improved average value for the hot pixel. See plot 1 in my OP post for illustration. So some image cleanup has to be done for these singular bad  pixels.

Practically no lens is capable producing a star image where a single (4 micron) pixel is X  times brighter than any of its neighbor pixels. The HPS of D4 D800 D7100  allows X= 2 times brighter, and that pretty much  cuts it, even for the sharpest lenses at their optimum aperture.  The new algorithm lets X= 6-8 times brighter pixels pass, anticipating incredibly sharp lenses: this implies MTF > 80% at 125 lp/mm .   As this HPS remains very effective in removing bad pixel data, it is really a very gad algorithm.  -- I agree with you that there is a minor gripe that one would like an option to turn it off altogether.  After having seen perhaps hundreds of false stars, I might turn it on again right away

As the hot pixels tend to be permanent, there is also user controlled hot pixel remapping . Contrary to the earlier models, it is activated by a single "clean sensor now" activation on the D7200.

Clear as water.
Thank you. .

bolador's gear list:bolador's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Nikon D90 Nikon D7200 Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow