How bad is the long exposure situation with the A7RII, really?

Started Dec 4, 2015 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
mgoddard Forum Member • Posts: 96
How bad is the long exposure situation with the A7RII, really?

This is definitely a question I should have asked before ordering one, but I gave in to temptation and finally ordered an A7RII the other day. Since then I've been reading the threads and blog posts about the hot pixel issue with long exposures and I'm starting to think I made the wrong choice. I do a lot of long exposures, both at night where my exposure time is usually at least 15-20 seconds and as part of a set of bracketed exposures for HDR in which the longest can regularly hit 4-8 seconds, sometimes more depending on the location (dim interiors usually). So is the A7RII not the camera for me? I know I can shoot with LENR enabled and pretty much avoid any issues with hot pixels but with the battery life of this camera already not so great and the speed at which the light can change at dusk this isn't exactly ideal. As far as I know there are no such issues with the A7II and I'm not against returning (or selling) the A7RII and switching.

So, is there anyone here using the A7RII and regularly making long-ish exposures? Is the noise issue overblown or an actual problem for you? I'd particularly like to hear from people shooting HDR images in dimly lit interiors, like abandoned buildings for instance, or moonlit landscapes like the last few images on my Flickr page (link in signature, sorry I can't attach or link any images but I'm at work and Flickr is blocked). I currently have a Fuji XT-1 and no real plans to sell it so I suppose I can always hold onto that to use for the longer exposures but if I'm going to invest this much money into the A7RII and lenses for it I'd prefer to be able to use it for everything I'm currently using the Fuji for.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Sony a7 Sony a7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow