The Past "Photography" the Future "Imagery" Not for ME!

Started Apr 17, 2014 | Questions thread
Abrak Veteran Member • Posts: 3,843
Re: dictatorial nonsense

J Mountford wrote:

I have taught photography in the past and I have always said, I don't care how you got the shot, what you did after the shot, it is the final image the counts, all the rest is window dressing. It really doesn't matter, it is the final image that people remember, not how the photographer "cheated" to get the final result.

All the great photographers have been attacked by so called purists. Back in the day, Imogen Cunningham, Ansel Adams, Paul Strand, Edward Weston all were told they were not artists, they were merely capturing a moment in time. Yet each one of them had their own style --- THAT IS ART! THAT IS AN ARTIST! In the purists way of thinking, Monet was just a painter, De Vince was just a guy painting ceilings and on and on and on, they were all attacked as frauds in one way or another.

I told my students, I don't care what camera you use, lens, f-stop, shutter speed, paper, chemistry, enlarging lens, retouching and on and on and on. None of it mattered, it is the final product that does. I also told my students to learn from their mistakes, and please make lots of them and figure out what works and what doesn't. The same thing goes today. Sure it is far easier to come out with a good image, but look at the old images by the masters, can you, my student, make a photo that sings like that in your own way, in your style?

When I was in high school, my photos didn't stink, they were fantastic, I was head of the club, the photo class and everyone came to me for advice. After all, I had a Maranda D single lens reflex and a 50mm and 135 lens. It wasn't a Nikon F, but it was something that looked like one, so my stuff didn't stink. There was another quiet student who had an old Exacta camera, which I made fun of. The film advance lever was on the opposite side, as well as the shutter button, everything was backwards, including the the way the film was loaded. I entered four of my best in the school photo contest, convinced I would do outstanding. That shy student with the backwards camera placed first, second and fourth and the best I got was one honorable mention. After I was shot down about 20 notches, I asked him what he did to take such great shots. He told me he did what he wanted, he didn't care what people thought of his photos, while I was trying to find the masters tripod holes.

My point is very simple, be yourself. Photography is an extension of yourself, your way of thinking, learn how to bring that out, don't worry what other people will think unless they are paying you for your work and for gods sake, break the fraking rules!

Jim

-- hide signature --

"Life is so simple, but we insist on making it complicated"
Confucius

+1

...and a nice story too...

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tko
T3
T3
pgb
tex
T3
tko
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
tko
tko
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow