Advice on Lenses

Started Nov 29, 2015 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
autumneagle New Member • Posts: 1
Advice on Lenses

Hey everyone, I'm new to DPReview. I'm a proud owner of a Canon 20D who just recently (Today!) bought a 5D Mark III. I've also got the vertical grip on order and intend to pick up a speedlite soon (my base exchange sells the 320 which I assume will do the trick? I've never used one before).

My primary question is this: Should I get some new glass? I pretty much take a wide berth of images. I enjoy landscape, nature, and wildlife photography but I also enjoy getting up close and macro. I just recently got stationed near Tokyo so I'm wanting to take photos of the city and shrines. Also I tend to get myself into volunteer gigs where I'm taking pictures of events (functions, picnics, parties, sports games, what have you) for my unit.

I own two lenses. My first lens ever was a Canon 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM. Nothing fancy but it has been a workhorse for me.
A few years back I splurged on the Canon 70-200mm F/2.8 IS USM II L and she is by far my pride and joy. I really do love that lens but I'm incredibly limited when I find myself needing wider shots of people or in cramped spaces or if I want to capture a wide scenery.

I love the L lenses, I like having something that feels strong in my hands and is capable. I'm wanting to branch out and maybe do some shoots for money. Retiring to photography is kind of a goal of mine after I get done flying planes. So whatever I buy I'd like to have for the long haul. But I'm just not sure what is out there and what is best? I've done some research but any advice would be incredibly helpful!

v/r

Scott

autumneagle's gear list:autumneagle's gear list
Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EF 28-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 5D Mark III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow