A7ii v2.0 and Metabones v0.47 firmware has transformed my Canon lenses

Started Nov 29, 2015 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Mfcrisis Regular Member • Posts: 206
A7ii v2.0 and Metabones v0.47 firmware has transformed my Canon lenses

I am lucky enough to have both the Metabones EF and Sony LA-EA4 adapters.

Until now, my two Canon lens were effectively manual focus - auto-focus was to erratic to bother with.

The Sony LA-EA4 always worked pretty well with a couple of old Minolta telephoto zoom screw-drive lenses, but I found the IQ unacceptable. Then I got an alpha-mount Sigma 100-300mm F/4 EX lens (also screw-drive), which takes amazing, sharp photos - auto-focus works well, though a little slow an noisy.

Since the A7ii firmware upgrade to v2.0 and Metabones to v0.47 focussing of my Canon lenses is transformed.  I have:

1. a newish Canon 200mm f/2.8 USM ii - which now focuses almost instantaneously and silently
  2. a older Canon 20-35mm - which focuses a bit slow with some noise.

I'm really surprised that there has not been more excitement about this.  The newer Canon lens focuses as fast my native FE lenses (28 and 55mm), though with less options.  Effectively the firmware upgrades have converted Canon EF lens from manual focus lenses to auto-focus.

I'm delighted - thank you, Sony!

Cheers

Nic

Mfcrisis's gear list:Mfcrisis's gear list
Sony a6500 Sony 28mm F2.8 Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-200 F4 +3 more
Leica SL (Typ 601) Nikon 1 V2 Sony Alpha a7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow