Affinity Photo and Photos

Started Nov 28, 2015 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
robgendreau Veteran Member • Posts: 5,122
Affinity Photo and Photos

[Boy, I wish both of them had selected better names. Sheesh.]

For those of you who can live with Apple Photos as their organizer, be aware that the next version of Affinity Photo has the much anticipated extensions. They are quite nice. I don't really care about Apple Photos, and generally have only used Affinity as a standalone application, but the extensions work quite well. You can go direct to any of their several modules, like say to "monochrome" (they present a different interface than what you usually get; somewhat simplified). As with the Macphun extensions it seems to use it's own RAW processor, and it goes back to Apple where it becomes the photo (no versions, separate photo, etc). You can revert to your original in Apple, but not in an extension (so it's not like Lr and DxO for example). But pretty cool.

Be aware that the extensions are but a subset of Affinity's capabiliities, like dehaze, develop, liquify and so on. But not more complex stuff like in the main application.

The Affinity standalone also now does panoramas, which come out fine. But it can be clumsy to select the candidate photos without having preselected them with a photo browser or something. The haze filter is nice, but not as good as Lr or DxO IMHO. But that's a matter of taste. I do wish Lr had the slider comparison tool that Affinity, Macphun and others have.

Leica SL (Typ 601)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow