A7IIR - 90%???

Started Nov 17, 2015 | Discussions thread
Thoughts R Us Senior Member • Posts: 2,665
A7RII Over Hyped - No Game Changer

The A7r2 has been the most over hyped camera in the world for the last few months.

I have news for all of these touting it as some game changing device: it isn't.

First, while sales I'm sure have been good for a Sony, it's still a tiny amount of sales even for the camera market.  I am sure Nikon has sold far more D810's and D750's than Sony will the A7r2.

And I don't see a rush of pro's to get the A7r2.

Second, while it has some nice features, when all is said and done, a D810 is a far more capable all around camera, and definitely a better pro tool.

The A7r2 has a great sensor, but really not that much better than the sensor in a D810, or a D750. The AF still cannot match a dslr for fast action.  The EVF still has a lag that puts it behind an OVF.

AF with non-native lenses suffers, as the adapter introduces another source of error into the equation.  And so now one has to worry about which adapter will work best with which lens, and of course, those adapters are not cheap.

The battery life sucks, plain and simple...no easy way to sugar coat that.  And changing batteries constantly while out shooting is a big pain.

The body is too small to balance well with larger tele lenses.  The IBIS has less usefulness with larger telephoto lenses.

Sony menus are a big pain point as well...and if something goes wrong, good luck with Sony service.

The Sony only has one card slot so no backup card.

So sure it's a nice gadget...some of its features are nice...but in the end, it's still a Sony, which means it has a great sensor and that's about it.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow