Advice re first purchase

Started Nov 23, 2015 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
jprny Regular Member • Posts: 180
Advice re first purchase

Hi,

I'd like to buy a scope and mount for astrophotography with my existing mirrorless camera (sony a7r2 and/or full spectrum nex-7). I have about $2000 to spend on this now.

Unfortunately, I can't be very helpful in narrowing down what I want since I have an equal interest at this point in lunar and other solar system objects as well as some light deep sky stuff. Realistically, I'll be using this most frequently in my backyard, though we will sometimes be able to travel to darker areas. I have very little experience and I'm likely to stay a dabbler at this.  Given that, it makes sense to put off accessory purchases (if possible), and/or plan on upgrading components if we really get into it.

I have been looking at refractors with go-to mounts since low maintenance seems like a plus and since I realistically don't have a lot of time to spend when I get a chance to go out. I want to make it as easy as possible so that it happens often.  Thoughts about that choice?

I'm a bit intimidated by the options and tradeoffs.  80mm seems to be in the price range, though somewhat higher sometimes is.  I've been looking at Orion and Celestron.  Priorities are fun and easy, followed by images I'll be happy with (relatively low bar there, I think), followed by viewing.  There are some full astrophotography kits, but it seems like I could make do with multiple exposures vs. guiders, true?

I appreciate any help you can offer with such vague information.  Please ask any questions that might be helpful.

TIA

John

-- hide signature --

www.pbase.com/jprny

Sony a7R Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow