Started Nov 20, 2015 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Ben Herrmann
Ben Herrmann Forum Pro • Posts: 17,753
The Samsung scenario - ponderings and/or recommendations

Hello all:

Well needless to say, all of these "Will Samsung end their camera sales" rumors and editorials can leave many a user frustrated and a bit insecure as to the future of the company.

Many of us may be experiencing what is often referred to as an "Approach/Avoidance conflict," in which we've come to admire all of the offerings and performance levels of Samsung cameras, while at the same time feeling a combination of anger, irritation, and insecurity with regards to their future in the camera business.  I know I'm one of those and I wish Samsung would get off the pot and issue a formal announcement one way or another.  It can't be good for their reputation, or do they really care?  If their end goal is to eventually close their camera division, then just say so.  If not, by all means let us know also without resorting to doublespeak or minced words.

Of course, many of us also shoot with a variety of different brand cameras (I'm one of those camera sluts), so our attention spans tend to become spread between all of those "other" models (which is not a bad thing).

But for me, I've come to embrace the way Samsung cameras render colors, the ergonomics of their models, and many other variables that I've come to admire with this brand.  That's why I'm saying that although we won't know what the eventual outcome will be for a few more weeks, for those of you who are sitting on the fence about getting a Samsung camera (i.e. NX1 or NX500 or some of the older models), I strongly suggest you move as soon as possible.  I'm now seeing some NX500's from very reliable eBay vendors (here in the US) selling for $559.  If it winds up coming to fruition that Samsung will gradually withdraw from the camera market, then those of you (us) who waited to pick up either an initial camera, or additional models, will be left out as vendors drop their cameras and they disappear (meaning blowout sales).

I realize that some of you will say, "Why should I invest in a company that won't be selling cameras anymore after a period of time?"  Quite simply because these cameras will be remembered for being superb photographic instruments and if you take the time to handle the camera with care, it will last you for quite a long time.

For me it was the Samsung NX300 and EX2F that got me hooked on Samsung.  I've subsequently picked up the NX500 which I've really embraced - so much so, that for insurance, I've ordered another one.  For me that represents the highest praise in that I've purchased a 2nd one that will remain in the box (for future use).  The only other camera I've ever done that with was with the ole' venerable Olympus E-1 (a 5 MP DSLR) that to this date still produces some exceptional colors and imagery.  I still maintain 3 of those babies which I still use to this date!

So gang...if you've been hovering on the fence, don't hesitate.  I'd hate to see folks out there bemoaning the fact that they should have moved quickly to get the Samsung camera of their desire before they do disappear.

-- hide signature --

Semper Fidelis...
Bernd (Ben) W. Herrmann
North Carolina, USA

Ben Herrmann's gear list:Ben Herrmann's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus C-7070 Wide Zoom Canon PowerShot G12 Olympus XZ-1 Fujifilm X10 +42 more
Leica SL (Typ 601) Olympus E-1 Samsung EX2F Samsung NX1 Samsung NX500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow