Panny 100-400mm news - From the horses mouth

Started Nov 13, 2015 | Discussions thread
danieljcox
danieljcox Contributing Member • Posts: 876
Re: Panny 100-400mm news - From the horses mouth

Old Listener wrote:

danieljcox wrote:

ewelch wrote:

I want to photograph bears in Alaska. I am a pro. I shoot with Canon at work. Just spend $4,500 for a 1DX body. No lens I've bought in the past 10 years for my work cameras was this cheap! You MFT photographers are spoiled! The thing seems downright bargain-basement priced to me!

I'm getting one. I have sold off my Nikons and have the 12-40, 40-150 Pro lenses and this will be a terrific addition to them! Then a 7-14 and an EM1 Mark II next year, a few Panny/Leica primes and my set will be complete! All for about the cost of a Leica 50 Summicron ASPH.

Great point ewelch. I agree with you that the MFT guys have no idea what lenses of this caliber cost if it were full frame. Anyone who thinks this thing is expensive hasn't bought a 200-400mm F/4 or the 600mm F/4 or the 300mm F/2.8 in either Canon or Nikon mounts. I too earn my full time living shooting natural history and science and the main reason I started trying the MFT gear was due to it's incredible inexpensive prices. I'm now shooting all MFT Lumix cameras and have sold almost every piece of Nikon gear I owned. Still have a few things but shooting virtually 100% Lumix now.

I've appreciated your web site and your posts here but I part company with you here. I think you are painting with an overly broad brush. Some m43 guys may not be up on current prices of top quality Nikon mount long lenses. However, most people have a sense of their own budget limits. Calling a lens expensive can reflect one's personal situation rather than a pronouncement about the entire market.

I came to m43 gear from Nikon DSLRs. I knew that I did not want to spend $ 2000 or more on one lens. That limited me to a series of not so great lenses (the slow Nikon 70-300, the Sigma 150-500 and a combination of Nikon f4 300mm + 1.4 TC.) The Panasonic 100-300 zooms we use now produce more keepers, better IQ and cost far less.

If the Panasonic 100-400 comes in a $ 1500, I would have to stretch my sense of reasonable expenditure. However, getting a second one for my wife would up the ante to $ 3000. Getting one is a possibility but getting two is quite unlikely.

If the 100-400 zoom is $ 2500, I may never be in the market for one.

That isn't a criticism of Panasonic but just a statement of my circumstances.

Old Listener, yes I do agree that expensive is all relative to one's budget. I do understand and appreciate, not all of us are fortunate enough to buy the more expensive gear we want. However, it is true that compared to the professional lenses most pros have been buying from both Nikon and Canon, this lens is exceptionally affordable. Obviously we all have to decide what our own budget can handle but relative to all that has come before this lens, whether the 100-400mm is released at $1500 or $2500 I personally feel it's a steal. That is of course it equals the optics of the other Leica/Lumix lenses I've been using such as the 42.5mm Nocticron.

Another issue that admittedly skews my outlook on all of this is my unique decision, as a full time working professional, to adopt the Lumix MFT system. If there were many full time working pros in this forum there would be a larger understanding of how inexpensive this lens is going to be. If a photographer has never had the need to shell out the bucks for a Nikon or Canon 600mm F/4, the new 100-400m would look expensive. But all things being equal, this is going to be a very affordable lens for what I believe we will get. Just one mans opinion. Thanks for your point of view as well.

-- hide signature --
 danieljcox's gear list:danieljcox's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic G85 Panasonic GH5 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +15 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow